Grid based tactics

When it comes to games, I really enjoy the act of moving around on a grid (or even organizing my loot on a grid), and I could be interested in any setting/characters/whatever do that grid-based movement.

So, imagine my surprise when I tried out this flash game based on the history of 1066. You move in a grid and you play as real armies. This is the best I've seen this type of game pulled off via flash, and I look A LOT for these types of things. To the point where I want to learn flash and try my hand at making one.

this is awesome.

What's more, they combine so many interesting play mechanics. For attack bonus on melee combat, you use your arrow keys to do a sort of Guitar Hero/Rock Band type simon says thing. For taunting, you do a Mario Teaches Typing thing where you type out the taunt; the faster you type, the more the morale boost/loss. Archery works like with trajectory - choose your angle and your power, but don't shoot your own troops! They also have formations and an army set up screen (try to play as only archers) using a 20-point system. Plus "passwords" to continue playing another day.

All very interesting.

Comments