Life on Mars - Season 1, Episode 1

This is an experiment. We'll see how much I like it. While work has been slow, on Thursday mornings I'll watch Lost on ABC.com and I'll chat with Dan about it while I watch. I like doing that, because I like to watch things but also to talk through them. So, I thought I'd try this here.

Life on Mars plays after Lost on ABC, and it is constantly covered on various comic/etc blogs/sites that I read so I thought I'd check it out. I don't want to try the BBC version first though – I recently attempted to watch Dr. Who and couldn't make it past the second episode. Not even 10 minutes of that episode. The BBC production values are so low that on this kind of show it is really obvious.

Anyways.

Life on Mars. All I know about this is that a guy gets in a wreck and is teleported into the past and then there's a mini robot helicopter bug that flys out of a guys wound sometime. Brantley saw that last part on TV and told me about it. OK. Season 1, Episode 1.

– If this is the theme song, this is the best theme song on TV.

– A cosby kid! That's awesome.

– This dude is racing somewhere with like 5 other cop cars and they are talking abou...oh shit! Lester Freeman! I love seeing Wire folk on other shows.

– Wait, one of these cops is that awful newspaper guy from Wire season 5 I think. Maybe that wasn't his face I just saw. I hope not, I hate that guy.

– Whoa, awesome kick in the face from the guy they are chasing.

– Guy they are chasing looks like David Caruso if his face melted.

– The ol' "that's my twin brother gambling and not me" trick, eh?

– They are trying to make it look like this cosby girl died. There's no way they'd kill her off after only 5 minutes, right? She's not a throwaway actress.

– Slow zoom in on his iPod video, showing you the cover of the David Bowie CD that he's listening to? That's realllllly smooth product placement. They just did it twice. Sure the song is Life on Mars but whatever.

– Had to pause. He just got WRECKED by a car and I gotta see that again.

– GOD! That wreck looks brutal.

– This guy looks like Jude Law with a few more pounds in his face, sorta.

– OK. He just time traveled. 1973 now. Sure. Life on Mars is now an 8-Track in his...I dunno what kind of car this is. It's orange.

– Uh oh! This 1973 cop has never heard of a cell phone. Oh, and there are still twin towers.

– Maybe that wasn't the theme song after all. Just a cool song.

– NYC in the 70s. Neat. People ate pizza out of the box while leaning on their perfectly clean cars. Everything is so shiny.

– Hahaha, Christopher from Sopranos with an amazing haircut and mustache.

– Whoa. Harvey Keitel? That's star power.

– No computers would suck soooo hard. Can you imagine that? Ugh.

– Some kind of light and the sounds of him dying in the future hospital. Well that's interesting.

– No one EVER believes time travelers. They'll have the last laugh. And also the first laugh, if they play their time-traveling-cards right.

– Oh this is kind of neat. This 1973 murder mirrors the 2008 one. I could get behind this show so far.

– cool.

– God, they are trying to make this girl cop a love interest already!? Gross.

– He's in a coma, but he talks a bit, and the TV triangle mathematician says "obviously he's in an alternate reality." They are just spelling it out for the average American, right?

– This dude is going to bring 2008 police practices into 1973 and ruin the timestream.

– I hate all of this crap like, "I'll have a diet coke", "OH HO HO? WHAT IS DIET COKE THAT WOULD BE A FUNNY THING!" Stop it already.

– Harvey Keitel wants his epitaph to be "He has been here". That's not a bad one. Maybe "He is standing right behind you" would really catch people off guard.

– Were policewomen really treated like this? Gross.

– This is making me want a pastry. I wish there was a bakery right around here.

– They are going to solve this in one episode, aren't they?

– So this chase is like identical to the one from the future. What if he gets hit by a car again? Does he go even further back? 1940s police department? 1910? Caveman cops?

– Awesome psychological warfare on this guy.

– God, the 70s had some awful expressions.

– Creepy kids..

– I just spaced out. I want to mess with the CSS for this blog.

– Um...they can't kill children on TV, right?

– Twin Towers at night. End.




Ok, I could watch a couple more of those. Seemed like there could be something there to hold my interest. Time travel, after all.

Comments