Sally sells.

In case you missed how harmoniously yesterday's post's topics worked out let me clarify. BioShock is a game that takes place in an alternate 1960's where steam powers high tech machinery. This is a common theme for nerd-worlds and goes by the phrase "Steampunk". At the same time, Half-Life 2 which takes place in a modern/futuristic world is delivered online via an application called Steam. So it worked out that I was playing these two games over the weekend. Sometimes the planets just align in a perfect obtuse angle.

Anyways - Onward.

1. I played Frisbee golf with one of my bosses on Sunday for the first time in a couple months. I saw a guy there that used to live on my hall in the dorms. He had an adorable little 2 month old puppy that was about the size of my hand. What irked me about this puppy was its name: Jango. Now, this guy was a somewhat nerd who read comics and liked star wars but didn't mention it to anyone. He was undercover. But no matter how little nerd you have in you, you know that Jango Fett is a poor excuse for Boba Fett. Sure, Boba is Jango's clone. Sure so it every Stormtrooper in the universe. But still. Boba did it first and better and first. That's it. Now, my boss tried to explain to me that here in NC and elsewhere people may miss hear "Boba" as "Bubba" and that wasn't a good name for a dog. I guess this makes sense, but still. Name your dog Bossk or Zuckus. Don't name it after something from the new trilogy.

2. Started in on Baltimore or The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola/Christopher Golden. I hope it's good, but I have a lot of faith in M.Mignola. Christopher Golden is the guy that has been in charge of all the Hellboy Novels, which I haven't read, so I'm sure he's an alright fit with Mike. I hope so. This novel also has Mignola illustrations throughout which are like candy surrounded by paragraphs and punctuation.

3. I'm no good about talking about the ideas behind my drawings. I always think it sounds silly/lame/whatever so I try to let them speak on their own and let people take them as they will. But I started this blog in order to try and be able to write/talk about myself and what I like and that kind of thing, so I'm going to give this a shot with a rough outline.

A. Shells can hold the sound of the ocean. This is neat, and a couple years ago the thought came to me that in a story of some form a character should tell his story/memories/things to a shell and then once he is gone from this world, the shell will be a place to hear his tale/memories/things. I still think this is a neat idea.

B. In the past few months I have found my memory to have taken a massive step backwards. I used to be pretty good at remembering minor events or little phrases and things that I could respawn into real life at any time. This doesn't happen much any more. I forget a lot of things and major chunks of my memory can't be recalled. As I said in a previous post, supposedly your brain never actually forgets things so there's possibly hope. But at the moment, I've got a dim light on in the attic and all the places where the bulb doesn't shine are gone.

C. Apart from my immediate family (Mom, Dad, Brother) I feel as if I have no real blood relatives. For whatever reasons (Passing away, family ties, memory issues) there arn't any other blood people in my life. Like somehow the Burkerts just started one generation before my brother and I.

So this is the combination of these things. Originally the people (relatives) would be part of word balloon type things coming from the shell, but I didn't really like it in the comp I was working on tonight, so I scrapped it for coupon clipping dotted lines. Clip and Save your favorite/lost memories. Stick them into a shell and return to them as you need them. You'll never forget when it's locked in time in a shell or a song or a sketch. I will be bringing this to New Hill, NC this weekend to see what Lorna Wang can do with it as far as color. The gray here is just to differentiate the shell from the rest of the drawing since it's hard to distinguish between the different linework. This is 11x17 in person, but much smaller here.



Click for a larger view.

That's it for tonight. Enjoy.

Comments